9.03.2009

Two posts in one day!

I decided that I could not hold out that I need to post something about this summer, even if I am the only one reading it.

It's amazing how much life and yourself can change for the good if you just take a chance and open yourself up to new experiences.

Going into travel nursing I was a little hestiant, to say the least. This is in part to my own fears of leaving my boyfriend, family, and friends. I have never been away from any of these people for more than a few days at a time. The fact that I would be away from them (1800+ miles away from them) was terrifying. I figured that I am 26, it is time to have a new experience. I felt I was in a rut professionally and personally.

My trip up to New Hampshire consisted of Rob and I driving the entire way through to New York where I have family. This was after 4 days of partying at Bonnaroo, we were both exhausted but decided to make the drive anyway. We landed in NYC and had a great time going through the city. We made a last minute trip decision to go to Philadelphia (where Rob had to fly out to go home) due to the fact my family wouldn't let us sleep in the same bed in New York:). I'm not complaining - it was a great stay, we just realized we weren't going to see each other for a while and wanted to take advantage of the time we had. And also eat a real Philly cheesesteak... yum...

When I made it up to New Hampshire I realized that this was real, that I was going to be living and working in the same place and that I was under new rules, 24 hours a day minus my total of 6, 30 hour days off. That not only was I responsible for myself but also the 300+ kids and 70+ staff's medical issues. Overwhelming does not even begin to describe it. After settling into a routine it was easy and the job became relatively predictable. What I took away from it though was not. I had a total change in attitude. One that became more empowering and more laid back whereas before I was very high strung/anxious.

I am not sure where this new change in attitude came from. Maybe it was realizing that certain things are worth getting worked up about whereas others are not. Being away from all my loved ones made me realize what's important in life? Who knows. All I know is that it is a welcomed and appreciated change for me personally.

Being up in New England was great. I was able to go to Cape Cod, Boston, Vermont, White Mountains in New Hampshire, Canada, and New York City. Cape Cod was beautiful and such a different way of life there. Everyone is on vacation! It reminded me a lot of the attitude in San Francisco, nothing is a big deal and everyone there is just wanting to relax like the next person. Boston was the place that made me the most homesick. It reminded me so much of St. Louis (too bad the Red Sox are there:)). I went and saw Xavier Rudd and it was a great show! I went on a great trip with the camp to the White Mountains. The place we stayed at was called the Highlands and it was beautiful. It was appropriately named because it looked like all you had to do was climb the mountain to touch the moon. Canada and New York city was amazing.

A lot of these trips I did on my own - which gave a great sense of independence. No shame in eating dinner by yourself, having a cocktail by yourself, or going to see a movie by yourself. It was a great experience.

After Canada and New York I met Rob in Cleveland Ohio - we had that moment of him coming off the plane and me waiting, I have never been so excited in my life. We then went to Cedar Point in Sandusky where all we did was ride roller coasters all day and had an amazing experience that has brought us closer as a couple.

While traveling was anxiety provoking at first, I am so glad I took that chance to experience these things. Now I am looking forward to another adventure in Cincinnati at a great children's hospital that will give me great experience.

Love
L

1 comment:

Kim @ NewlyWoodwards said...

I'm reading. I'm so happy you had a great time. I think it would be awesome to hae that independence for a time period.