9.18.2009

My First Hostel Experience in a Post Hostel 1 and Hostel Part 2 era.

(This post is from, like, June)

During my ride from camp to the Mid-Cape I was calling everyone I love telling them so in case I got chopped into pieces by some psycho millionaire.

After 2 1/2 hours I arrived to Mid Cape at approximately 9:30pm. I saw a sign that stated "welcome" but still warranted hesitation since it pointed to a dark, winding tree lined road. Of course I turned onto the road and wound up at this cabin that had about 10 people inside cooking, washing dishes, and laughing.

I walked in and was greeted by Jana, the rep from Hostel International on the night shift. She welcomed me with a glass of hot chocolate and a smile. She explained the rules to me, simple rules such as quiet time after 10pm (not the same thing as a curfew), clean up after yourself, strip your bed and throw the linens in the hamper before leaving in the morning.

I then paid for my bed and she gave me my key. The main cabin was surrounded by about 5 or 6 sattelite cabins each containing 4 bunks, 8 beds total, some co-ed and some same sex. I walked into Cabin 5. The place was spotless (aside from the miscellanious luggage), smelled clean, and the bed was nice. This allayed my fear of bed-bugs (such a thing to worry about anywhere you sleep that is not your own).

I then met my "bunk mates", people from all around the world and people who lived less than an hour away. Aside from the bunk mates snoring and farting all night (which was tolerable), I slept relatively well. I still had my guard up so of course I woke up at every little noise. I hadn't had a bunk mate since college nevertheless 7 more. I woke up around 6a.m. when everyone's alarms started going off including my own and I left for the beautiful cape.

My experience went as I hoped it would, arriving and leaving the Cape in one piece. While I felt a little old to be staying in a hostel, saving more than $100 was totally worth it.

---------------------------------------------------
Since this post I have stayed in many hostels all with very good outcomes. The average hostel "bed" costs about $20-$40, most even offer private rooms for around $80. All the hostels I have stayed in have lockers so bringing a lock is a must if you have valuables you don't want to schlep all of your trip. If you are looking to save a few dollars go with a hostel. Aside from a honeymoon who really stays in their hotel room while they are traveling.
Reputable sites for hostels are Hostel International and Hostel World.

Happy Traveling!
Love
L

No comments: