How do you begin to discuss comfort at Bonnaroo when it's a sweltering swamp? I guess I will discuss this by problem.
Safety-
-Generally speaking, I like bringing a First-Aid kit because you never know when you might need something (stepping on glass, etc, even though glass bottles are NOT allowed inside Bonnaroo).
-Flashlight
-When I was in the medical tent I saw all sorts of things coming in that I would not have thought about before. I saw spider bites, food poisoning, poison ivy, and bad cuts. Most definitely seek the medical tent if you have any of those issues.
-Use common sense also related to safety. Bonnaroo is usually 100,000+ people, not everyone is going to be nice/friendly/respect your stuff even though there are way more cool people there than a-holes.
Sunburn-
Duh, wear sunblock. I did not get burned one bit last year because I bought lotion and spray sunscreen (at least an SPF of 50), special face sunblock, and reapplied constantly. I am a veteran of painful burns - I learned my lesson at Lollapalooza, I refuse to get that sunburned again.
Bug Bites/Poison Ivy-
I bought outdoors/woods bug spray. Rule of thumb is that you do get what you pay for. Pay the extra money for the brand Off, and like sunscreen, keep reapplying ever so often. Usually every show I would reapply bug repellent. I am bringing hydrocortisone cream and Calamine lotion just in case I get bit by a bug or would unfortunately get Poison Ivy.
Food Poisoning -
Ah, I am a veteran!
-For sure watch how your food is being handled and prepared. If someone is handling money and then handling your food either ask for a refund/refuse the food and move onto another vendor or just don't eat in there all together (remember if you have cooling issues, most likely the vendors will too - especially at the end of the day I would question the freshness of meat).
-I am going armed this year though with Imodium (Anti-Diarrheal), Ibuprofen, Tylenol, and Zofran (Prescription anti-nausea, if you don't have that available or unable to get to a doctor - you can take Benadryl which has anti-nausea properties) remember take all medicines according to the manufacturer directions.
-If you do run into food poisoning recognize the symptoms. My symptoms were when I woke up I had a knot in my stomach and instantly started vomiting uncontrollably- however you may have different symptoms. Get to a medical tent and get the appropriate treatment.
-Dehydration in Manchester, TN heat can be life-threatening.
-Just try to remember to bring a blanket to the medical tent as they run out and if it's raining it can be cold in there (surprisingly).
The Heat-
-Stay cool, stay hydrated.
-Those little personal fans with the misters are LIFE SAVING.
-Wear a hat, bring a handkerchief and soak it in the water and put it on the back of your neck.
-There are many things to cool down with aside from an ice cold beer.
-I found a cool little tent fan - although the nights were generally cool, it was just at 7am you would begin to fry in your tent.
-Create shade with hanging tarps/blankets/old table cloths from your canopy ceiling.
Beat-up Feet-
I am a total wuss when my feet hurt or have blisters or are beat up. I wore athletic shoes last year and thanked God that I did. I went one day with flip flops and thought my feet were going to fall off. I wore the Soloman Amphibian shoes and they were amazing. If you don't have $75 to spend on shoes, any breathable tennis shoe will do (as gross as this is, I did not wear socks). We like to call those shoes our "River Shoes" the shoes we wear on float trips I highly recommend. I also always bring a pair of flip flops in my bag in case I do want my feet to breathe or go barefoot when I'm at a show. I can tell you right now though, think of what you want on your feet when you go into the port-a-potties as those can be just as nasty and wet and gross.
Sleeping-
-Despite how hot Manchester TN is - bring blankets, it does get cold at night.
-I recommend an elevated air mattress or putting a queen size mattress on two tied together cots,water will seep into your tent because it will rain, it's a given.
-That tent fan I discussed earlier sounds amazing.
Hygiene -
-I figure hygiene goes hand in hand with general comfort. Germ-X will be your friend as there are no stations to wash your hands, bring one for your bag and bring a big one for the campsite.
-There are showers at Bonnaroo but they're not your typical "shower". It is a row of spouts that drain into a trough. You have to go in your bathing suit and wash off like a bird with about ten other people in the place with you. I'm not kidding. It gets to be really dirty and really muddy and gross with stagnant water by day 2.
WEAR SHOWER SHOES/FLIP FLOPS IN THE BATH HOUSES... nothing grosses me out more when people have bare feet in there.
-Last year my friend brought a camp shower which was great - we just forgot to bring something to hang it from. Bring a tarp for underneath, you don't want to be tramping in mud while you wash off. I bring cheap shampoo/conditioner (I make sure not to get my hair dyed anytime near the show date) and don't even think about styling my hair or anything, because you really can't. It's hot, everyone is dirty, deal with that part of the experience. I do take care of my face though so I bring my normal face wash and a bar of Dove soap.
-Baby wipes are life saving.
-TOILET PAPER is a must. Bring a roll with you every trip to the port a potties. Another tip is that they clean the port a potties every day at like 6am. Get there then and use it, seriously it's a luxury.
-Towels, toothbrushes, toothpaste are a given.
-I also like to bring Clorox wipes too just in case anything gets kind of gross.
List to bring related to comfort/hygiene:
Cheap shampoo and conditioner, soap, lotion, sunblock (AT LEAST SPF50), bug spray (I recommend Off deep woods), face sunblock, baby wipes, toilet paper, toothbrushes, toothpaste, towels, camp shower, prescriptions/over the counter meds/creams, Clorox wipes, GermX mini bottle and a big pump bottle, comb, hair accessories (the cheap, thick Goody headbands, pony tail holders, and bobby pins), handkerchiefs, tent fan, small cooling fan for bag, tarp, old tablecloths, hook to hang camp shower from, river shoes, shower shoes, first aid kit, pillows, blanket, elevated air mattress, sheets.
Til next time-
-L
1 comment:
Hmm... that's a lot to prepare for. I hope I'm ready!
Post a Comment