Before you get on the road to head to Bonnaroo-
HAVE YOUR TICKET!
Getting to and into Bonnaroo-
Last year was my first year - I was not sure what to expect. I naively thought that we would get right into the campground area. On the road to Bonnaroo my friends informed me that in fact we may be waiting 8 hours in line to get in. That was a shock. Luckily it only took us 6 hours. I can't believe I am typing "only". We listened to Bonnaroo Radio and passed the time by hanging out with the car that was caravanning with us but we were excited and it was a little frustrating. I passed a lot of the time by reading and sleeping, but whatever works.
A few things I noticed about the entry process -
-If you have to get out and "use the outdoor restroom" and the line moves, your car will leave you to move up in line OR people will pass to cut in front of your car while they wait for you. I would discuss this with your car mates on what is the appropriate plan of action if this happens. I took care of this by making sure we stopped at a gas station before getting in line and not drinking a lot of fluid after that so I didn't have to get out (but I am a nurse, I have a bladder the size of a Winebago's water tank). I saw people picking up random strangers who's car left them and they gave them a ride into Bonnaroo but who knows if you will be that lucky. If you have to walk, it is very possible you will catch up with your car as it is a constant stop-go situation and just take your cell phone with you if you get out of your car so if you get separated you can at least find them when you get in.
-People will cut in front of you. They are a**holes and they, as well as everyone else, know it. Just realize it's going to happen and no amount of honking and cussing at them is going to change it. However, if the cops catch them they will send them to the end of the line, keep that in mind if you get the urge to cut.
-I am not sure what time they open the gates to get in, I think last year it was 8am. Even if you get there at 6am you are too late, you will still be in line for a long time. This is due to them searching random cars and other issues.
-If you get there and fall asleep in your car in line and the line moves, people will cut in front of you.
-The day of Bonnaroo Coffee county and Manchester cops are constantly patrolling up and down the highway. If you are doing anything illegal and they catch you they will have no problem with arresting you/ticketing you. I am not sure about how strict they are on the outdoor bathroom rules though.
When you get in and get to your campsite:
- Lay down your territory ASAP, have someone get out and start throwing stuff marking your boundaries. Space is a commodity and you camp behind where you park.
-After you define your space start setting up, it's a pain in the rear, but get it over with.
-If you get a chance, acquaint yourself with your neighbors, help each other out, that's one of the cool things about Bonnaroo.
Things I like to pack in my bag to get into the concert area-
-They do search your bag, THOROUGHLY, they will find beer or glass or anything else you are not supposed to have inside. They will confiscate it.
-I do recommend a backpack/tote bag to carry around, but you don't want to weight it down too much.
-Also, I am a ziplock bag freak (as you can see below). Everything has it's own place in it's own bag. Generally I keep things together so I don't have five million ziplock bags in my bag but it does rain and your stuff will get wet/ruined.
-Straw mat to sit on at the concert. I like this more than a blanket, even though I keep one in my bag anyway.
-Misting fan
-iPod (in ziplock bag)
-ID/cash/ONE credit card (in ziplock bag)
-digital camera with extra memory card (in ziplock bag with ID/cash/cc, cell phone)
-Pen/Paper (in ziplcok bag)
-Toilet paper (in ziplock bag)
-Germ X (mini bottle)
-Sunscreen
-Bug Spray
-Extra pony tail holder or clip
-Poncho (one of those that fold up into a small deck of cards)
-Deck of Cards (in a bag lol)
-Nalgene Bottle
-Snacks (in a bag lol)
-Cell Phone (in ziplock bag)
-Bonnaroo Poster in poster tube (in case I run into anyone I want to have sign it)
-pair of flip flops (in a plastic bag because I am a germ freak)
It may seem like a lot but really it's not heavy.
That is it, it may seem a lot but really it's not. Just remember why you are there, to have fun and enjoy the music.
-L
No comments:
Post a Comment