12.04.2009

Cincinnati - you are a fun city.

Rob's birthday was a total success. It was hard for it not to be for the fact that Phish was playing in Cincinnati. It couldn't have been more in the stars for us to be at Phish in Cincinnati.
1. Rob's Birthday weekend
2. Phish playing in Cincinnati TWO nights.
3. My assignment is in Cincinnati
4. Phish is Rob's FAVORITE band.

The weekend started on Thursday evening when I picked up Rob's birthday cake from a wedding cakery in a burb outside of the city. I sent them a tie-dyed shirt as inspiration for the cake and while it didn't turn out to be what I wanted it to be, it still looked pretty cool. I was pretty picky because this was supposed to be a surprise for him since he already knew what his birthday present was (phish tickets).



Rob and his two friends arrived at 2am as they left immediately after working hours on Thursday. I decorated the apartment in birthday gear before they got there to surprise Rob - as cheesy and cheap as it was I think Rob felt special.


Friday we began our day at Bob Evans to get some good energy in us before staking out a spot for a concert poster. We arrived there and realized there really wasn't a line nor a demand for a poster. Having witnessed the poster line at Bonnaroo in the summer we figured it would be the same in Cincy - not so much. After we realized we had some time to kill we went exploring on the riverfront.



When the sun was starting to set we headed back up to the arena where more people were starting to show up and the workers were starting to put up the baracades to search people when they came in. We were able to hear Phish sound test - which was very cool.

Phish, of course, put on an amazing show. I had so much fun I hardly took any pictures.

After the show we went to the parking garage where everyone from the concert was there. People were selling t-shirts/hats/beer/hand-made items, it was quite a crazy scene. I bought a knitted hat from one fan trying to get to her next show. After everyone cleared out of the garage we walked uptown to this theater that I would liken to the Robert's Orpheum in St. Louis. Fattback, a band from St. Louis, was playing and they are funky! They put on a great show and we boogied til the place closed.

Day 2:
We start the day by going to Hofbrauhaus in Newport, Kentucky for Rob's birthday lunch/dinner. The Hofbrauhaus is an incredible place! People were standing on benches, yelling, drinking liter beers - I think the Ohio/Michigan game was on which probably contributed to the atmosphere.


After our meal we walked across the bridge from Newport to Cincinnati. The walk was beautiful with the sun setting and we were with a lot of great friends.


We then went back to the garage where everyone was waiting for the venue to open up. We hung out on the roof which had an incredible view of downtown Newport and the lights.

Phish of course killed it the second night, such a great show.

After the show we went back across the bridge to find a bar or two to hang out in considering it was Rob's last night in Cincy and we were there to celebrate. We went back to the Hofbrauhaus and it was rocking. There was a German Polka cover band playing, people on the benches, people dancing on the benches (of course most of the people were at the Phish show), there was even a guy in a banana suit. After that we went to this hotel bar in Covington where a one man band was playing. For his closing act he played Phish's "Farmhouse". The place went nuts.

Words cannot describe how much fun this weekend was. I think the only people who would get it were the people who were there.

But, wow, Cincy, you are a fun city - hope to see you again soon.

Love
L

No comments: