The idea is great, and sounds like the basis for most cognitive/behavioral therapy. Self reflection, collection of data, assessment, implementation, and more reflection - this process can go on and on and on.
I generally consider myself a happy person. For a while after nursing school was complete I felt like everything came to a screeching halt and that I was not as happy. I chalked it up to not being in nursing school and having that constant positive reinforcement. This also happened to another one of my work friends, she just thought her mind was so geared for school and then when all the work came to a grinding halt, her mind could not really handle it. My next thought was maybe my job. As a hematology/oncology nurse my job can become a little depressing, even though it is very personally and professionally satisfying. I then found myself in what I have always done to make myself feel better, I was making excuses. Maybe it was just plain anxiety to see what I might uncover, that I may actually be unhappy with myself and not entirely sure how to fix it.
First step: Self Reflection
Ok, so you could journal, you could ask those around you how you generally are; however, the University of Pennsylvania Positive Psychology Department put together valid tests that test happiness and certain aspects of happiness that can be found here. There are several battery of tests but all are very easy to complete and do not take that long. I'm, of course, not done with all of them yet.
I've also decided to set a goal every time I finish a blog about my personal happiness project. My first goal will be to work on my happiness project at least once a week - pretty reasonable.
Anyway, Rock of Love Charm School is on so I must go.
Thanks for checking in.
-L
No comments:
Post a Comment