My Epic Summer of Music and Camping
Oh! I am so ready for summer and all the fun activities associated with the season. It feels as though my summer is going to start the minute I get home.
First, on the 23rd of April, Rob and I are going to see the Flaming Lips in Kansas City. We are staying in this wonderful hotel - Hotel Philips. I have seen the Flaming Lips before about three years ago when they came to the Pageant in St. Louis. It was an amazing show and I came out of there with a new appreciation for the Lips and their incredible showmanship. I have been waiting those three years to see them again - I can't wait to see what Rob thinks of it. The show is at Sandstone Amphitheater in Bonner Springs, Kansas and is general admission, which is appreciated.
Then at the end of April Rob and I are going to a smaller, local camp-out music and arts festival in Martinton Illinois called "Funk You!". From the sound of it they have booked all sorts of bands from all genres of music and all of these bands are pretty local to the midwest. I found this festival through JamBase when I was finding potential festivals for Rob and I to attend this summer. After paging through the bands on MySpace and for only $20 admission for three days of music, how can you say no? I feel this is going to be a great event to kick start the summer camping/music festival season.
Immediately after we get home Rob and I are attending Pearl Jam at the Scottrade Center in St. Louis on May 4th. Rob also has never seen Pearl Jam - I've seen them twice - questionably three times, once at Lollapalooza in 2007 and once at Bonnaroo in 2008, and the questionable date is in 1998 (I found a ticket stub in my photo boxes, vaguely remember the show but I didn't know good music back then if it were to hit me in the face). Both shows were with the couple that we're going to this show with - it's going to be a total blast AND we have great seats. This is a huge fear of mine (that is usually realized) when I go to shows at big venues like stadiums ie. ScottTrade Center.
A potential music festival is Summer Camp up in Chilicothe, Illinois. They have a great line-up, we are going to evaluate closer to the dates. It's my birthday weekend and Sex in the City 2 (I know I just made myself incredibly lame in some people's eyes but oh well, I don't care) also comes out during that weekend, so priorities may have to play a part :). We will probably go to Summer Camp and save the movie for when we get home - which Rob will refuse to accompany me to.
After Pearl Jam, other concerts between the months of May and July are kind of up in the air. Several good bands are coming through St. Louis - Dave Matthews Band, Kings of Leon, The Black Keys, Collective Soul, Joe Bonamassa not to mention all the local music that will be around town. So, between May and July we are just going to play it by ear. My other plan was to go to this year's Bonnaroo with the same friends I went with in 2008 - but funds and questionable employment status hinder me from dropping $1000 on four days.
I figured during this time Rob and I can go camping/hiking, get outdoors more. We have this beautiful, big Forest Park as our backyard - I believe we are going to be utilizing it more.
We were originally going to go to Phish's June tour opener in Chicago and follow them to Ohio but Rob's job hinders us from doing so due to a vacation black out strictly enforced.
But this leads me to my next point......
Rob and I are going to be spending our 4th of July in HOTtlanta!!
Phish is playing a run of two shows in Atlanta (Alpharetta to be exact, a little north of Atlanta). We are so excited as it looked like tickets for these shows sold out in less than 15 minutes and we obtained tickets for both nights. I am excited about this mainly for two reasons.
1. It's Phish - they put on an amazing show, incredibly talented musicians
2. I've never been to Atlanta (I've driven through Georgia at night on my way to Panama City, Florida for Spring Break in College if you want to count that)
The venue looks great. We have general admission pit tickets (potentially front row) for the first night and then lawn tickets for the second night (luck of the draw). We are staying at a hotel approximately a mile and a half away. It's going to be a great weekend.
In early August we have another Phish show planned. A two day run in East Troy, Wisconsin at the Alpine Amphitheater - another celebrated venue. Also another state I have never been to.
In late August Ray LaMontagne is coming through Nashville and through Chicago. I have been wanting to see him forever. I hope I can convince Rob or my friend Cara to go with me:) - but I have plenty of time as it is only April.
With that being said - summer still needs to hurry up.
Love
L
2 comments:
You could always camp tent style at 'roo with us and save yourself about $500 of that. It's still amazing, I promise you.
You know... If I do go, it will be VERY last minute - but it also looks like a very slim chance I will be. This makes me quite sad as the line up looks AWESOME.
Post a Comment