I said I would work on my personal happiness project, I guess indirectly I have been, but I need to work on it with more effort. Anyway, I have been trying to get a healthy start on my other resolutions and, hopefully, at work tonight I will have some time to invest into my happiness project.
Anyway, my work is starting a "The Biggest Loser" competition among three units within the hospital. I think this is a fantastic idea. The money pot for it is already over $500!!! They are doing it by percentage of weight lost and not total pounds - which is fair considering a lot of us are built differently and starting out at different points in our weight loss conquest.
My boyfriend and I have started working out and I think that this competition is just further motivation to lose some pounds.
Working out with your significant other can be challenging. We started about this time last year and were up to 6 miles/workout, not all running but close to it. I moved and then he moved and we just kind of slacked off since we joined a new gym after that (one without an indoor track). Since then we have been pretty liberal with eating/drinking/gaining/lazy-ing.
To tell you the truth (and don't worry, he knows, it's no secret), I really don't like working out with my significant other. Not HIM personally, but just with anyone, unless of course it's a group exercise class. My workout is my time to myself, a meditation almost. Cut me some slack if you think I am being selfish, I am an only child. I've found that working out with a significant other there are underlying feelings of competition considering the innate nature of both sexes. In the past, when I've worked out with a significant other they would interrupt what I was doing (interrupting my "me" time) to go spot them on the bench or something else or even... gasp... TELLING me what to do. Since that point I swore off working out with a significant other and tried fitting in my own workouts on the sly.
Telling me what to do with my workout drives me insane, and one of the benefits to physical exercise is to feel better, not crazier. So it felt like I was getting nothing out of it.
Luckily though, my boyfriend now understands this frustration. I am not sure if he truly gets it or thinks that I am being difficult but he respects it. That's all I can ask for. So hopefully this time around we will be successful.
Anyway, that's all, wish me luck!
-L
1 comment:
I don't like working out with Ryan either. He is impatient with my complaining. And, when I work out, I hate my life and want to complain. =)
Post a Comment